Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Soccer Battles

Every soccer game is a battle but some are more challenging than others for both the parents and the players.  This weekend Morgan's team had 2 games on Saturday and they were both big battles.
Between the 2 games there were 8 yellow cards and 1 red card issued.  For the non soccer folks: A yellow card is issued most commonly for "unsporting behavior or dissent by word or action".  (comparable to foul in other sports)  A red card is issued if "player spits, becomes violent or overly aggressive or uses offensive or threatening language" or if a player "commits a foul to deliberately prevent a goal".  I think you get the point.  There was also one parent ejected and there was another parent who really needed to be ejected but was not.  It was just crazy and very draining for the players and the parents.  It's hard to sit quietly as a parent when the players are being knocked around, having jersey's pulled and getting injured because of rough play.  A lot of it falls on to the referees for letting things get out of hand, in my opinion.  Morgan's team lost one game and won the other.
You can get the idea of how the games were going from these pictures.  (Note: don't even get me started on the other team sporting the PINK shirts--y'all know how I can get on my soap box about that in Oct)

It makes me exhausted just looking at the pictures again.
And in the middle of all this soccer, I was having a "Jenna moment/day".  The last time I remember being at these soccer fields was with Jenna.  She was in her wheel chair and I had to push her up and down a hill to get her to Morgan's game.  Morgan had just started playing club soccer.  I think she was 9 but playing on a U11 team.  Let's just say the team was not that good back then.  I remember Jenna saying to me "they aren't very good, are they?".  It makes me smile to remember that day.  And I even have a picture of the two of us from that day.  Hard to believe it was 6 years ago.  Wow.
Enjoy every minute of every day with your loved ones friends!!
Tricia

No comments: